Monday, May 14, 2012

Learn a Chinese Idiom act first and report afterwards 成语: 先斩后奏 xiān zhǎn hòu zòu



xué xí chénɡ yǔ :
学  习 成    语 :
Learn a Cihnese Idiom:

xiān zhǎn hòu zòu
先   斩   后  奏 
behead sb. first then make all known to the Emperor; act first and report afterwards; execute one on the spot without prior approval from the court; kill sb. first then to report; slay the disobedient and report afterwards.


zhǎn
斩 
v. cut; chop; behead

zòu
奏 
v. play(music) ;present a memorial to an emperor

For instance:

nán pénɡ you duì wǒ shuō : “ wǒ zuó tiān méi yǒu qù shànɡ bān , wǒ qù yī yuàn kàn yá yī le ”
男  朋   友  对  我 说   : “ 我 昨  天   没  有  去 上    班  , 我 去 医 院   看  牙 医 了 ”
Boyfriend said to me: "I didn't go to work yesterday,I went to see the dentist"

wǒ huí dá shuō : “ nà nǐ xiànɡ ɡōnɡ sī qǐnɡ jià le mɑ ? ”
我 回  答 说   : “ 那 你 向    公   司 请   假  了 吗 ? ”
I replied: "Well then did you ask for leave to your company?"

nán pénɡ you shuō : “ wǒ méi yǒu , dào yī yuàn hòu , wǒ cái dǎ diàn huà qǐnɡ jià de ”
男  朋   友  说   : “ 我 没  有  , 到  医 院   后  , 我 才  打 电   话  请   假  的 ”
Boyfriend said: "I didn't,I called and asked for leave when I arrived the hospital"

wǒ shuō : “ ā  ! nǐ yòu xiān zhǎn hòu zòu ā  ! ”
我 说   : “ 啊 ! 你 又  先   斩   后  奏  啊 ! ”
I said: "Ah! You act first and report afterwards again!"

yá yī
牙 医 n. dentist

qǐnɡ jià
请   假   to aks for leave

yòu
又 
again

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dear,
    I am learning Chinese these day, it's a wonderful language. These are the idioms which makes it tough sometimes to me. But your website is quite helpful to learn Chinese for me. I will say a big thanks of you guys. Keep it up.

    Lilly, UK

    ReplyDelete